Tuesday, July 12, 2011

This proud father just got prouder.

On Sunday July 10th I had the distinct honor of toasting my lovely daughter and her partner as they were married in an absolutely perfect ceremony, on a beautiful afternoon, in the fair city of Boston.

I used "the googles" to prepare for our speech and learned that wedding toasts are best delivered with an outline and some extemporaneous comments. Those of you that have received voice-mails from me know that I ramble, so, with apologies to those in attendance, I read our toast with my lovely bride at my side.

Here, with illustrations added, is the text of our toast.

"Lynn and Don, my meckhutonim (Yiddish for in-laws),

Today our daughters marry.

I heard many years ago that a woman never looks more beautiful than on her wedding day. Over the years I have found this to be true in most cases. Thanks to Laura and Abby we are doubly blessed in that regard today.

So we raise a glass to all who have been brides AND the grooms they married!

Today we celebrate relationships both old and new.

In the story “Ulysses”, Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote, “I am a part of all I have met.” I mention that because grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends have all played a part in who Laura and Abby have become. Likewise, the two of them have changed who we all are today as well.

So we raise a glass to everyone in attendance here today!

Today we leap into the future by remembering the past.

Two notable honored guests are with us today in spirit only, Bubbie, (Abby’s Paternal Grandmother) and Grandma Ole (Laura’s maternal grandmother).

Grandma Ole, who was proud of her Irish heritage, might have offered the following toast:

Always remember to forget
The troubles that passed away.
But never forget to remember
The blessings that come each day.

And, although I never met Bubbie I believe she would wish Abby and Laura congratulations with a “Mazel tov”, and a blessing for a happy life together with “L’chaim.”

So we raise a glass to Bubbie, Ole, Abby, and Laura! L’Chaim!

And finally, today we share our pride.

Abby, we’ve never believed that you are a big, fat, meany. In fact, you’re quite the opposite and we’re proud to welcome you into our family.


And Laura, with the possible exception of pinholes in our waterbed mattress,

and the question of whether Jack jumped, or was pushed off of the top bunk (that one’s still being debated) you’ve ALWAYS made us proud.

But I don’t think any overtime goal scored, or academic achievement, or professional success has made us more proud of you than we are today.

Laura and Abby we love you both and wish you unending happiness. So we drink a toast to Laura and Abby’s continued health, happiness, and MANY years of happy marriage."

I made it through this reading and only broke down once, when I looked at my lovely daughter and was overcome with emotion.

The short, fat kid as a public speaker! Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Tony. You'll get to do this too in the future. Time will fly by and you'll be preparing a similar toast sooner than you think. Take lots of photos between now and then, and savor EVERY moment. They grow up so-o-o fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great speech! I lost it right around the time when you started talking about Granny :)

    ReplyDelete