Saturday, January 7, 2012

He is in all things.

Despite being raised by a minister and his wife I’m not a religious man, at least not in the traditional sense. You won’t typically see me in a church pew on Sunday mornings. As a child raised in a parsonage I was expected to be in the congregation for EVERY service that Dad preached (“As long as you live under my roof…”). I do believe I am spiritual though.

By the time I reached age 20 I figured I’d gone to enough services, and learned enough about theology to make my own decisions. I don’t see that as a repudiation of what Dad taught me. I think it validated some of the lessons he taught. As a United Church of Christ minister Dad was a member of a very liberal denomination, open communion, involved with current social issues, and extremely gay-friendly. This acorn DID NOT fall far from the mighty oak.

In one of our talks years ago Dad taught me that religion and theology, in his view, is really a matter to be addressed by individuals and their God directly. I took that as a free pass to form my own relationship with a higher power to be expressed in my own way.

My personal theology is really quite simple.

1. Something created this world with all of its wonders and amazing things. I just don’t have all of the answers regarding this creator.

2. My God can be found in ALL things.

3. The world would be a better place if we all practiced the Golden Rule; Do unto others as you’d have them do to you. Live Christ-like rather than living a ‘Christian’ life.

4. If you don’t agree with my views, no problem, you’ve walked a different road than I have, more power to you, it’s all good.

I read a book recently and came across a mantra from Tibetan Buddhism, “Om Mani Padme Hum”. Evidently this mantra can be a catchall for Buddhists, it refers to the Jewel in the Lotus. It has been interpreted by some to mean, “God is in all things”. I like that, it squares with my views.

I find my God in;

A laugh shared with friends.

A hug from a loved one.

The fiery reds and bright golds of foliage in the Fall.

The awesome beauty that is northern Minnesota.

The artistry displayed on rinks, and fields of play, by novice and accomplished athletes.

Sunrises and sunsets, both literal and figurative that mark the end of each day, the seasons, and life itself.

Now that Dad is rapidly reaching the sunset of his life my brother, sisters and I have been asked to write some of our memories of Dad. True to form, I’m not doing exactly as asked. I prefer to list how I WILL remember Dad. What can I say, I’ve always been the problem child (the only one to make the high school honor society AND get arrested in the same month, but that’s another story and another blog).

So, at the risk of being blasphemous to Tibetan Buddhists I say, “Om Mani DADme Hum”, to me DAD is in all things.

I’ll remember my father when I am out in nature, particularly the north woods and Lake Superior areas. He loved the outdoors but didn’t hunt or fish like a lot of men. He just enjoyed canoeing or hiking and being in the wonder of God’s creation. I get that same sensation on paths while biking and skating. Exercise as a religious experience? How’s that for multi-tasking?

I’ll remember Dad when I see building and construction occurring. Dad built his own home in Ely with a lot of help from Mom, friends and family. He built his own home. Who does that anymore? AMAZING. Additionally, he built homes for other less fortunate people in Mexico with other retired clergy. He helped bring Habitat for Humanity to Minnesota. He helped me with countless building projects on our home. He built in me the belief that NO project is impossible if you really want to get it done.

I’ll remember him whenever I see effective, successful leadership. He built All Nations Indian Church from a simple idea into an actual, tangible entity with a building, a congregation, and a growing history of embracing both Christian AND Native American beliefs. He conceived the idea of this Native American church in Minneapolis. He sold the idea to the conference office. He devised a successful fund-raising plan whereby other UCC congregations could donate money for construction of the building by becoming Friends of All Nations Church. He arranged temporary space for the congregation to worship in while funds were being raised, and even drove a HUGE van around on Sunday mornings picking up church members too poor to afford a car to get to church. I’ve always been most impressed by active, involved leadership. It’s probably because it’s been successful for me, but Dad did it better than anyone I’ve seen.

I’ll remember Dad when I share a laugh, a smirk, or an eye roll with friends and family. No one appreciated the well-timed zinger, or the smart-assed comment more than Dad. He seemed to find a special joy in humor. I find that same trait in my kids and wife. So I’ll think of Dad often when we share laughs amongst ourselves.

I’ll remember Dad whenever I see progressive thought and actions. Senator Edward Kennedy eulogized his brother Robert Fitzgerald Kennedy with the line from George Bernard Shaw, “Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” I remember Dad living his life as an ‘Other’, consistently asking, ‘Why not?’ In the 60’s he preached of racial equality when that was a radical concept. In the 70’s he spoke out against the Viet Nam war and dishonest government. In the 80’s, far ahead of anyone else, he sought to bridge the digital divide by providing computer access to members of All Nations Indian Church. In the 90’s he pushed for compassion and understanding from politicians and other public figures. In the 2000’s he continued to speak up for the under-represented, the gay, the poor, and those treated unfairly by our society. Dad was a man of this world that appreciated its beauty, but he worked tirelessly for change to make it a better place.

I’ll remember Dad every time I see parents, particularly fathers interacting with their kids. He showed me the awesome responsible of being a suitable role model for your children. Yesterday he paid me the ultimate compliment when he told me, while visiting with guests, that he thought my wife and I did an awesome job raising our two kids into remarkable young adults. Thanks Dad, you keep leaving me speechless these days.

In my view, Dad, like God, is in all things.
The short, fat kid expanding his theology.

Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. What a beautifully written tribute to your Dad's memory! Clearly, he was very special. And yes, the world would be a far better place, if there were more of your Dad - and you - in it! Our sincerest condolences on your loss. May your healing be swift; your memories abundant.

    Warmest personal regards,

    Stephen, Karen, Alexis & Nicole Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. Dad has now passed away. Writing these blog posts and knowing he read a few of them sure was good for my soul.

      The only advice I can give is let those you love know it. You never know how soon they'll be gone...

      Delete